Following a disciplined methodology, I created Mix Tank, a revolutionary iPhone and Android app for the agriculture applicators that stops problems before they start, saving the user money, time, labor and resources, while acting as a brand extension. It’s generated more publicity, results and new inquiries than any marketing activity in the company’s history and continues to do so. In February of 2012, Mix Tank was named AgProfessional magazine’s Readers’ Choice 2011 Top Product of the Year in, a company first. Additionally, Mix Tank has won an international AGROW award, as well as an interactive marketing award by the National Agricultural Marketing Association.
Working with developers, our Mix Tank roadmap incorporates user feedback, our knowledge of industry trends and the latest advancements in app technology. It’s our strongest marketing tool that’s created awareness at a level that’s far exceeded our expectations. Positioning is crucial in marketing, and we’re fortunate to have the best agricultural app available, while the field continues to get very crowded; competitors and industry heavyweights have realized the benefits an app can offer users, which is causing this category to grow substantially. Being the leader in the ag app category has undoubtedly contributed to Mix Tank’s success, but not nearly as much as the value the app brings itself.
Below is a description of Mix Tank 3.0, which is the last version I managed:
Mix Tank from Precision Laboratories is an iPhone and Android smartphone app designed to assist agricultural applicators with the proper tank mixing sequence of crop protection products. Mix Tank also captures product use rates and application information with Mix Sheets and conveniently maintains accurate Spray Logs for easy record keeping.
Following the proper mixing sequence helps users prevent product incompatibilities and can save applicators time and money by avoiding product loss and sprayer cleanout problems.
The available Weather Integration feature within the Spray Log helps applicators prevent spray drift risk by displaying weather information, including wind speed and direction, prior to spraying, assisting with documentation and compliance.
- Mix Guide: Receive a recommended mixing order based on the products selected.
- Mix Sheets: Enter field size, spray volume, tank size and product use rates and receive rate per acre, per tank and per field for accurate documentation and compliance. Easily share to integrate with existing records.
- Spray Logs: Stopwatch and notifications (every 60 minutes) allow you to conveniently record GPS location, time spent spraying and weather details. A notes section also allows for additional record keeping.
- Weather Integration: Provides wind speed and direction, temperature and conditions integrated with Spray Logs, helping reduce spray drift risks by capturing weather conditions prior to spraying (in-app purchase).
- Mixing Precautions: Alerts users of potential tank mixing issues. Note: if an issue is not listed, please let us know through the feedback section and it will be added after review .
- My Favorites: Select your most-used products for easy access.
- Enhanced Sharing: Email, Facebook and Twitter.
Improper mixing sequence of crop protection products can cause incompatibility problems, lost spraying time from plugged sprayer nozzles, and the risk of cross contamination problems later. Simple mixing errors will cost time and money.
Mix Tank is patent-pending and determines the correct mixing sequence of crop protection tank mixes and helps users avoid product incompatibilities. It can save applicators time and money by avoiding product loss and sprayer cleanout problems. Mixing precautions and known incompatibilities are included.
With the spray log, applicators can focus on spraying, while the app documents spraying time and the number of intervals. As drift control regulation increases, the available weather integration helps reduce spray drift risks by relaying and capturing weather conditions prior to spraying. Users don’t need to worry about stopping the spray log timer – the app will present reminders every 60 minutes. Spray log management assists with documentation and compliance and adds operational efficiencies.
When spraying is complete, all details are listed in the spray log, along with the mixing sequence. There’s also a notes section to add additional information. The enhanced sharing functionality includes all spray log details directly within the email, making documentation and recordkeeping easier.